Blood Testing for Allergies
Millions of Americans have allergies. You might sniffle and sneeze as the seasons change or get itchy and teary-eyed when you dust the house or pet an animal. Perhaps you start wheezing when you eat a particular food.
Allergy blood testing can help reveal what triggers your allergy symptoms and help your doctor choose the best treatment for you.
Allergy blood testing is recommended if you:
- Are using a medicine known to interfere with test results and cannot stop taking it for a few days this would include antihistamines, steroids, and certain antidepressants.
- Cannot tolerate the many needle scratches required for skin testing
- Have an unstable heart condition
- Have poorly controlled asthma
- Have severe eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, or another severe skin condition
- Might have an extreme reaction during skin testing or have a history of life-threatening allergic reaction called anaphylaxis